ADDRESS PRESENTED BY HIS EXCELLENCY, MR AKINWUNMI AMBODE, GOVERNOR OF LAGOS STATE, ON THE OCCASION OF THE FOURTH QUARTERLY TOWN HALL MEETING IN Y2017 (THE NINTH IN THE SERIES) HELD AT EMMANUEL HIGH STREET, OFF OGUDU ROAD, OJOTA, KOSEFE LGA ON TUESDAY, OCTOBER 10TH 2017.
Today, we have another clear opportunity to make good on our commitment to the democratic norm of running a people-centred Government. We have in the last eight editions of the town hall meetings demonstrated that an open government of inclusion is possible and desirable.
Indeed, the town hall meetings, one of the many platforms of engagement with Lagosians has yielded positive results and is useful in providing insightful ideas and recommendations on how to serve our people better.
Our train, this time, has arrived Kosofe and it is our hope that this interaction will serve to bring on board your views while we will endeavour to keep you abreast of our policies, programmes and plans. We assure you that your opinions will significantly impact our future activities.
Since the last quarter, we have progressed significantly with the tasks of building the Lagos of our dream. Some of the projects embarked upon include:
- We have commenced the reconstruction of the Muritala Muhammed International Airport Road into a 10 lane highway of world class standard. It is our plan to complete the project within the next 15months – November 2018.
- In addition, a comprehensive plan has been put in place to fix all roads that have been eroded by heavy rains witnessed across the country in the last few months. This road infrastructure renewal will entail the repairs of 43 major link roads across the five divisions of the State as well as a comprehensive flood control programme that will ensure a flood free State by end of year 2017.
- In Agege, we have commenced the construction of a fly over that will put an end to the perennial traffic witnessed along Pen Cinema and the old Abeokuta Expressway.
- Similarly, the reconstruction and upgrade of Igbe-Bola Tinubu road in Igbogbo-Baiyeku Local Council Development Area has commenced.
- The traffic situation in the Apapa area in recent times has been of major concern to our Administration. We will therefore not relent in our efforts to reclaim Apapa as a liveable part of Lagos and return it to its pristine glory as a hub of economic prosperity.
- In Oworonshoki, construction work is progressing to transform the blighted waterfront into the biggest water transportation hub in Nigeria. When completed, the site will become a mega ferry terminal with the state-of-the-art facilities, including a park and cruise facility that will enable user’s easy access to the jetty.
- Plans are also underway to unfold an intensive design for the beautification of Jibowu and Yaba as part of the general greener Lagos plan to rehabilitate and beautify blighted areas.
- As part of the Onikan-Marina Regeneration plan, we have approved the upgrade of the 5,000 capacity Onikan stadium to attain the standards of a 21st century sporting facility.
- We recently completed and commissioned the first ever state-owned DNA Forensic laboratory in Africa. The edifice is equipped with technological gadgets to solve crime, enable DNA profiling and aid the criminal justice sector reforms.
- As part of strategies adopted to secure Model schools in the outskirts and those close to riverine areas, a Joint Tactic Squad comprising officers of all the security agencies has been established to increase security within and around such vulnerable areas of the state.
- The Lagos State Office of Disability Affairs (LASODA) has also been mandated to expand the numbers of beneficiaries of the programme to ensure that greater number of targeted persons benefit before the end of the year.
- Before the end of 2017, a total number of 250 persons living with disabilities will be employed into the civil service and given adequate training to carry out their duties effectively.
- A database of all artisans in the State is being compiled to grant them the chance to improve their business through financial support from the Employment Trust Fund (ETF).
- As you are aware, chairmen of the 20 Local Government Areas and 36 Local Councils Development Authorities have been sworn-in and have taken positions to help translate our vision into reality in their respective places.
Distinguished ladies and gentlemen, the modest progress we have made so far would not have been possible without you, the people. Our administration appreciates the massive support and cooperation we have received across the State in the past two and half years. Our determination to put Lagos State economy on an enviable pedestal has been further strengthened by your support.
We thank all regular tax payers who have made our vision of growing the economy and improving the quality of life of our people possible. The task of building a virile State is the responsibility of everyone and we renew the call on every taxable adult to pay their taxes promptly.
I also solicit your understanding for the inconvenience currently being experienced as a result of the ongoing road projects across the state. This temporary discomfort will soon give way to lasting happiness as all projects will be completed on schedule.
Now, it is over to you to tell your government what you expect from us.
Itesiwaju ilu eko lo je wa logun.
Governor of Lagos State
October 9, 2017